PLS-Design has developed a chimeric molecule consisting of the high-affinity chicken IgY receptor and human IgE constant heavy chain antibody domains, named IgE-AviLink.
The molecule is able to bind IgY like the natural receptor and providing a antibody scaffolding for dimerisation. The attached human antibody domains can be utilized for specific detection with Anti-IgE-antibodies. In combination with polyclonal chicken IgY, generated against the molecule of choice, an artifical control sera can be generated.
A schematic for the applicationis given in the following graphic.
The method is:
- easily adaptable to and compatible with existing detection systems/kits
- cost-effective in generating large stocks of control sera
- reducing the risk of human pathogenic contaminations in sera samples
- providing the control sera with specificity and titer of choice
- not limited to human IgE detection (available are IgG, IgM or IgA constructs)
Since the binding site resembles the natural receptor, quantification with IgE-AviQuant determines the “free” IgE, meaning non-receptor complexed IgE. This fact might not be important for normal serological test, but is potentially very interessting since it enables monitoring of patients with Anti-IgE treatments, providing the therapeutic antibody interfers with receptor binding.
You do not have to rely on nature to provide control sera – make your own – make a better one!